Author Topic: Polish vs Russian Vodka?  (Read 4515 times)

CinnamonBear

• YearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« on: 3 years ago »
I've always wondered if there's any difference, in terms of ingredients, processing and manufacture, between Polish and Russian vodka?

I can attest to the fact that each type seems to have its passionate adherents! However, at least in the U.S., Russian vodka seems to be more popular overall--although Polish brands have a devout, close-knit following.

Me, I can't tell the difference when I drink it; perhaps it's just a bit of nationalism among the fans!

nott

• Big Cry Baby
  • Administrator
  • YearsYearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« Reply #1 on: 3 years ago »
It takes experience to tell the difference  :)

If we are talking about clear, flavourless vodkas, there are bigger differences between particular brands than between countries. Although, for example, the Finnish vodkas are famous for their quality. But this may be due to the fact that they simply export their good produce only.

You can make vodka out of everything organic, the most popular raw material being rye and potato. If it's made to the same high standard, then the connoisseurs can tell the difference between brands, but then it's the matter of personal preference which one is better than the other. Rye vodkas are easier to control, I think, so there's more of them amongst quality vodkas. Again, it doesn't depend on the country, not in the 'vodka basin'.

The basic process is simple, and the result depends mostly on the amount of care you add to it.
truth is infinitely cognizable

nikki

• YearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« Reply #2 on: 3 years ago »
I can tell poor quality Vodka by the headache I have within an hour or so after drinking it.  But to tell Russian or Polish vodka apart takes mad skills.  If Nott can do it then hats off to them!

nott

• Big Cry Baby
  • Administrator
  • YearsYearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« Reply #3 on: 3 years ago »
Keep your hat where it belongs :) I can tell Chopin from Stolichnaya if I know there's the choice of two only, but, again, it's not about the country of origin. What brands do you get there?

truth is infinitely cognizable

Torq

• Administrator
  • YearsYearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« Reply #4 on: 3 years ago »
Well, I suppose it's a question of drinking the real thing or a copy, a vodka-like product.
Of course you are aware of the fact that vodka is a Polish invention, so if you want the original,
you drink a Polish one (Chopin, Pan Tadeusz, Wyborowa). If you're more into replicas, imitations,
second-hand vodkas, so to speak, then I guess Russian водка is the thing for you.

CinnamonBear

• YearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« Reply #5 on: 3 years ago »
The price differences are also interesting. I'm glad Nott mentioned that the Finnish vodkas are known for exporting their highest quality product, because I've always been struck by how expensive some of the Finnish vodkas are--especially compared to the Polish and (some of) the Russian varieties.

I still suspect that, unless you're drinking "rot-gut," it takes an educated palate to tell the difference!

steph84

• YearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« Reply #6 on: 3 years ago »
I have only had Russian vodka here in the U.S. mainly because it is so cheap. You can get a bottle for under $10 for 750 ml and it burns while going down, but it gets the job done!

Iampeebs

• YearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« Reply #7 on: 3 years ago »
I used to bartender here in the United States and most of what is carried in the bars here is Russian. The bar I worked at did not have one Polish brand. I do have to say that here, Russian is cheap  and if getting drunk quick is your goal...

enkidu

• YearsYearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« Reply #8 on: 3 years ago »
Eh. Where to start?
From my experience - almost no one in the UK drinks vodka The Proper Way.
They mix it with a lot of things. And if you mix it - let's say with cola - the quality of vodka is not so important because  you won't be able to taste it anyway. In this case I would buy the cheapest vodka available.

As for quality vodka - Finland, Russia and Poland are strong players. There are a lot of good brands (and some not-so-perfect).

Good tips:
- There are a lot of vodkas on the market that pretend to be Russian. Always make sure that that the "Russian" vodka was indeed produced and bottled in Russia.
- Never, I mean NEVER buy anything below 40% vol. "The 36% vodka" is not vodka! This is abomination and I am sure someone will be suffer in hell for selling this crap.
- Avoid fancy bottles. They are for snobs.
- Don't buy vodka that had been produced in the UK. This is a Gin and Whisky land. For some reason they just can't produce good vodka here.
(BTW - never buy Russian or Polish whisky. You'll be disappointed.)

How the proper glass of vodka looks like:

Please note: Outside of the glass you can see ice. 
« Last Edit: 3 years ago by enkidu »

Jessi

• YearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« Reply #9 on: 3 years ago »
How the proper glass of vodka looks like:

Please note: Outside of the glass you can see ice.

Mmm!!

I went to the Red Room in Las Vegas in the States. I'll have to dig up pictures, but we went into the ice room where they served vodka at the perfect temperature. We had to wear big coats and hats in order to enter the room. It was the best vodka I've ever tasted, though, and was an incredible experience.

bzibzioh

• Administrator
  • I am so 20th century
  • YearsYearsYears
Polish vs Russian Vodka?
« Reply #10 on: 7 months ago »
There was bit of controversy recently about Sobieski vodka ad making light of Ukrainian crisis.

Polish vodka brand Sobieski has released an advertisement (on the American market only) claiming that Russian President Vladimir Putin 'will do anything to get closer to better vodka.' Clever  :)