Author Topic: Włochy  (Read 1223 times)

Federico

• YearsYears
Włochy
« on: 3 years ago »
Ciao, I have read that in the Polish language Italy is Włochy.
What means Włochy in Polish, and what is the origin of this term?
Thank you

Torq

• Administrator
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Włochy
« Reply #1 on: 3 years ago »
Ciao Federico e benvenuti sul nostro sito. Felice di averti tra di noi! :)

As for your question, it is one of the Polish language mysteries, but luckily this one is easily solved:

in ancient times the area of what we call today Italy was inhabited by a Celtic tribe of Wolk or Wolsk. In Old German this word was Walh (which meant "a stranger"), and we borrowed this word from our western neighbours in polonized form Wołch (or Wałch). The form Wołch, after a phonetic shift, became the modern Polish word Włoch (and Włochy for country) and started to be used universally for the inhabitants of Apennine Peninsula.

The tribe of Wolks then moved to British Isles and became progenitors of today's Welsh--so no wonder that the words "Welsh" and "Wales" in English come from the same old Germanic word Walh! So, funnily enough, our Polish word for Italy comes from a Celtic tribe which had nothing (or very little) to do with modern Italians.

Federico

• YearsYears
Włochy
« Reply #2 on: 3 years ago »
Ciao Torq, thank you for the welcome and for your response!

Torq

• Administrator
Włochy
« Reply #3 on: 3 years ago »
Not at all. You are our first Italian member, Federico, so hang around and our German graphics wizard might add glorious tricolore to the ATP logo. ;) We have a small forum here and we don't get much traffic, but there's no better place on the Internet to get first hand information about all things Polish!

What's your connection with Poland, if I may ask, do you live in Poland or have family connections with our country?

Federico

• YearsYears
Włochy
« Reply #4 on: 3 years ago »
I live in North East of Italy, and near my home lives a couple composed of an Italian man and a Polish woman.
This woman is very nice and gentle, and when we encounter us I ask her about Poland.
I have asked her about the Polish name of Italy, but she have told me a story of vegetables!
I would like to visit Poland, I think that is a beautiful country with a lot of history.
Ciao!

Torq

• Administrator
Włochy
« Reply #5 on: 3 years ago »
I have asked her about the Polish name of Italy, but she have told me a story of vegetables!

Some vegetables in Polish are called "włoszczyzna" because they were brought to our country from Italy.

I would like to visit Poland, I think that is a beautiful country with a lot of history.

Well, if you're ever in Gdańsk, let me know--I'll show you the city. :)

Federico

• YearsYears
Włochy
« Reply #6 on: 3 years ago »
Thank you Torq, ciao!