Author Topic: 2018 Winter Olympic Games  (Read 27 times)

bzibzioh

• Trusted Member
  • ... and the hat
  • YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
2018 Winter Olympic Games
« on: A week ago »
LAUSANNE, Switzerland — Russia’s Olympic team has been barred from the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The country’s government officials are forbidden to attend, its flag will not be displayed at the opening ceremony and its anthem will not sound. Any athletes from Russia who receive special dispensation to compete will do so as individuals wearing a neutral uniform, and the official record books will forever show that Russia won zero medals.

That was the punishment issued Tuesday to the proud sports juggernaut that has long used the Olympics as a show of global force but was exposed for systematic doping in previously unfathomable ways. The International Olympic Committee, after completing its own prolonged investigations that reiterated what had been known for more than a year, handed Russia penalties for doping so severe they were without precedent in Olympics history.

The ruling cemented that the nation was guilty of executing an extensive state-backed doping program. The scheme was rivaled perhaps only by the notorious program conducted by East Germany throughout the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s.

Now the sports world will wait to see how Russia responds. Some Russian officials have threatened to boycott if the I.O.C. delivered such a severe punishment.

Vlad the Putin won't be happy.

Bratwurst Boy

• Administrator
  • ...and the Helmet
« Reply #1 on: A week ago »
Russia banned from Winter Olympics over state-sponsored doping     

• Vitaly Mutko, former sports minister and 2018 World Cup chief, banned for life

• Some athletes will be able to compete in Pyeongchang under neutral flag

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/05/russian-olympic-committee-banned-winter-games-doping

Wow! Just read the breaking news and....WOW!!!!  :o

I didn't believe the IOC had it still in them!

Wow!

What a humiliation for Putinistan, even if their athletes should win a competition there will be no russian flag and no russian hymn, how embarassing that will be for the athletes and the whole country, in front of the whole world watching!!!

....chinese cheater next!

bzibzioh

• Trusted Member
  • ... and the hat
« Reply #2 on: A week ago »
What a humiliation for Putinistan, even if their athletes should win a competition there will be no russian flag and no russian hymn, how embarassing that will be for the athletes and the whole country, in front of the whole world watching!!!

Putin will make it into some world-wide conspiracy against Russia. Something like "they were too afraid to compete" with the Russian athletes so they had to exclude them. In short: Russia is the victim. Again  ::)

It will be weird watching ice skating competition without Russian skaters.

Bratwurst Boy

• Administrator
  • ...and the Helmet
« Reply #3 on: A week ago »
He can say what he wants....he lost his mojo. People have their own brains!

He and IOC-Bach were bro's and it hadn't saved him and his doping industry....

I personally find that the "neutral flag/no hymn" solution for russian athletes has been a stroke of genius. Russia really is as bad as the GDR, and why did they all the doping and cheating?
To present their flags, to see their athletes waving the gold medals to their hymn...that's what it all is about. To say your athletes are allowed but no flag/hymn is a kick in the eggs to the doping industry. It isn't about the people or the sport or the records only about prestige, only to present your country as a winner, you can't do that when you even can't show off your flag...so why dope?  8)

They should use the same solution for the Chinese athletes....it's the same reasoning. Without the ability to bring glory to their rulers with all the accompanying bombast winning through doping is just not the same! That's genial!!!  ;D

bzibzioh

• Trusted Member
  • ... and the hat
« Reply #4 on: A week ago »

I personally find that the "neutral flag/no hymn" solution for russian athletes has been a stroke of genius. Russia really is as bad as the GDR, and why did they all the doping and cheating?
To present their flags, to see their athletes waving the gold medals to their hymn...that's what it all is about. To say your athletes are allowed but no flag/hymn is a kick in the eggs to the doping industry. It isn't about the people or the sport or the records only about prestige, only to present your country as a winner, you can't do that when you even can't show off your flag...so why dope?  8)

Most politicians operates on the same base: what's good for the optic. No principles, values, or rules.

I heard recently that Angela opened the borders not because she wanted to help Syrians but because she was worried of the bad optics of soldiers fighting with refuges wanting to cross it. She had document ready on her desk ready to sign about closing borders but changed her mind. If that's true - she is no leader but a fraud.

Bratwurst Boy

• Administrator
  • ...and the Helmet
« Reply #5 on: A week ago »
I heard recently that Angela opened the borders not because she wanted to help Syrians but because she was worried of the bad optics of soldiers fighting with refuges wanting to cross it.

I told you that before....imagine german soldiers pointing their weapons on haggard, hapless women and children...she had no other choice at all!

I don't think she would had kept her popularity if she had chosen that option...it was no really an option, not for Germany with it's history nor for any other civilized country.

That's why all that finger pointing at her and blaming her is so absolutely useless! Nobody else would had done, could have done differently...you can't call them all "frauds"!  8)

bzibzioh

• Trusted Member
  • ... and the hat
« Reply #6 on: A week ago »
I don't think she would had kept her popularity if she had chosen that option...

So it was only about her popularity. Who cares about the country and security of her own people. Great leader she is not. Now she is paying the price. And whole country is paying with her.

it was no really an option, not for Germany with its history nor for any other civilized country

I don't think history will be kind to her. Virtue signalling always comes with the price tag.